Monday, May 19, 2008

Listening in church


Church was kind of different this last Sunday.  I don't ever recall having all women speakers in sacrament meeting before.  I thought it was interesting that the topic was submitting your will to the lords and the ladies were the ones with insight on this.  I suspect that is because the guys never really have any say in anything anyway, the women are the ones that need to learn to give up our "plan" in exchange for guidance in following his.  Anyway, I won't comment on the talks themselves because as far as I am concerned, if I don't have to give it, it is great!  But I was having a little trouble following the second speakers talk, I think because I was wrangling kids and daydreaming as I sometimes do.  I do remember she spent a good deal of time speaking to the youth and children in the congregation.  I thought to myself, I wonder how old your kids get before you have to start convincing them to listen to the talks.  Only minutes later, Amelia climbed over me to sit on a chair (the floor is her usual preference) and I guess she started listening to the talk.  The speaker asked the congregation a question and Amelia eagerly raised her hand as if she was racing to be the first to answer the question.  Of course the question was rhetorical and she had no idea what she would answer.  I was proud of her for listening to the speaker at least well enough to hear a question in the first place.  I guess it is coming to that time in my life when will have to watch not only what I do and say, but also what my facial expressions say and the story my body language  tells.  Wow, this parenthood thing is going to give me a run for my money!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

How cute. I can totally see Amelia sitting there raising her hand. She's such a funny 'lil thing.

I'll definitely try to watch my potty mouth around her. :)